21 April 2007

A5 Paper

Recently, a commenter to this blog asked me about an inexpensive source of A5 paper. If you're in the United States, as I am, A5 paper and accessories are surprisingly hard to come by, considering our nation's melting-pot reputation.

As an A5 Filo user myself, I've found a few sources of A5 paper that may or may not be less expensive than buying the 20-page packets from Filofax. None of the following prices include shipping.

- Staples.com has plain A4 paper from Hammermill by the ream (500 sheets), and can cut it in half for an additional fee. If you want lined paper, you have to print your own lines. (And the paper needs to be punched for Filofax.)

- graytex.com has A5 paper at $16.40 for 200 sheets (inkjet quality) or $29.75 for 500 sheets (copier quality). Also needs to be punched.

- timedesign.com has blank A5 paper, punched for Filofax, at $3.99 for 50 plain sheets; $4.99 for 50 lined sheets, either loose or padded.

- succes.com has lined white A5 paper, punched for Filofax, at $10.92 for 100 sheets.

Another option, and one I've used most myself, is buying A5, perforated notebooks from Miquelrius or a similar company, and punching pages that I wish to carry in my Filo. There are also notebooks from an Italian company, available at some specialty stationery stores, that have enough holes to fit the A5 Filo or 2-ring A5 binders (but these are pretty expensive).

8 comments:

  1. I buy a rhodia #19 gridded pad, cut it in half and then punch. I can get the pads in Canada for about $8. The paper is really great for fountain pens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh. My. God. That's brilliant. It works because the gridlines run the same way no matter which way the paper is turned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. as a new a5 owner, I recently discovered a5 punched to fit filo (with a few exra holes) .. it's by oxford, is wirebound but preforated, and is called the "easybook". the stationary/office supply stores near my uni carry them. but.. i'm in NYC! (thus your milage may vary)

    they have both lined and grid, however, i haven't found the grid yet. they are about $8 include 80 sheets of paper. it also has a index tab that can be moved around the wirebound book, a la circa system.

    if anyone can follow my coffee deprived convoluted english above.. congrats, and thanks.

    next up? finding an affordable punch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Penny, those are the exact notebooks I was thinking of! They are also available in stationery stores near the universities in Boston. I wish they were less expensive.

    Probably the most affordable punch you'll find is the plastic portable punch. It's $20 at Filofax USA: http://filofaxusa.com/a5accessories.html.

    At $8 a notebook, though, a punch might pay for itself pretty soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi There!

    Just happened across this site while looking for A5--if anyone's interested, the following link has A5 inkjet paper at a great price:

    http://empireimports.stores.yahoo.net/newa5sizepaper.html

    A ream of 24-lb (250 sheets) goes for 8.50 USD--the price goes down with quantities of 3+ reams.

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Denise. I haven't ordered from Empire Imports yet, but I know they're increasing their A5 offerings. When I order something from them, I'll write about it on this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. amazon has a4 ream for around $9 and staples will cut it for only $2!! makes life so much easier for me =] http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006L38M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

    ReplyDelete
  8. You can get PU-462 6 hole punch on Amazon - great for punching both Personal and A5. $22-$32
    $32 right now on amazon includes free shipping. Comes from Japan. Excellent

    ReplyDelete